Favorite WPB song (click here) ยป Favourite Songs

• Chris Willson

Chris Willson Toronto,ON

Growing up in St. Thomas ON in the mid-70's, I remember seeing Willie's first album on the London radio station charts, but had no idea who he was. It wasn't until 1980, when I shared a house with a Willie fan and he was playing "White Lines" that I found out Willie had written this fine song, which I was familiar with from David Wiffen's popular cover. It was infatuation at that point. The first song that touched me at some very deep level was Me and Molly, so I guess I'd have to say it is my all time favourite. However, I also found Down to the Water very touching. The song that most influenced my own writing and playing would have to be "Faces", which directly inspired three different songs I've written. The songs that I find myself still humming and singing, not having listened to Willie much in the past decade, are Hobo's Taunt and Lonely One Car Funerals. I was fortunate to see Willie quite a bit in London in 81, then in Toronto at the Free Times in the mid eighties at Free Times. Later, saw him with Fred. Saw him twice at Hugh's Room in the final years, and he was in the best voice he'd ever been in. Miss him, and feel so blessed to have been touched by his music.

Growing up in St. Thomas ON in the mid-70's, I remember seeing Willie's first album on the London radio station charts, but had no idea who he was. It wasn't until 1980, when I shared a house with a Willie fan and he was playing "White Lines" that I found out Willie had written this fine song, which I was familiar with from David Wiffen's popular cover. It was infatuation at that point. The first song that touched me at some very deep level was Me and Molly, so I guess I'd have to say it is my all time favourite. However, I also found Down to the Water very touching. The song that most influenced my own writing and playing would have to be "Faces", which directly inspired three different songs I've written. The songs that I find myself still humming and singing, not having listened to Willie much in the past decade, are Hobo's Taunt and Lonely One Car Funerals. I was fortunate to see Willie quite a bit in London in 81, then in Toronto at the Free Times in the mid eighties at Free Times. Later, saw him with Fred. Saw him twice at Hugh's Room in the final years, and he was in the best voice he'd ever been in. Miss him, and feel so blessed to have been touched by his music.

Add your message - It will be added as the newest post