Tell us your Willie P Bennett stories. (click here) ยป Willie on the CN Tower

• Giles G.

Giles G. Vancouver

I've been reading Garnet Rogers' memoir about his early years with Stan. Our dear Willie makes a number of appearances. Here's an excerpt, from Chapter 40: "The Winnipeg Folk Festival". I think it was around 1975 when word went out around Toronto and area that Mitch Podolak, the director of the Winnipeg Folk Festival was arriving and would be holding auditions... The auditions were held in a large cavern of a room down by the waterfront in Toronto, in what was to become the Harbourfront complex... It seemed like every scruffy singer song writer with stars in their eyes had turned up at the audition. They each got to play a couple of songs, but I don't recall anyone from the event getting hired by Mitch with the possible exception of Willie P. Bennett. Mostly what I remember from that night was Willie P. and Rick Taylor needing a quiet place to release their beer, and finding a massive white painted metal structure laying on it's side in the parking lot. Evidently vandals had been at work. It was covered in coloured graffiti, thousands of bright scribbles. They climbed up on top and had their whizz, and that would have been that, except that the metal structure, as we found out later, was the final piece of the radio antenna for the CN Tower which was to be raised and affixed to the top the next day. From all over Toronto school kids had come down and signed their names to it. The day after the auditions, just before it was lifted up and installed, a coat of clear polyurethane varnish was sprayed over it to seal and protect the kiddies' signatures. It sealed and protected the signatures, and it sealed and protected the urine as well. So in effect, what was for years the world's tallest free-standing structure, and the thing which still dominates the skyline of Toronto has had a faint pee stain at the top. Having just quoted at length without asking, i feel moved to make a pitch on Garnet's behalf. Night Drive - Travels with My Brother A Memoir by Garnet Rogers available from his website, on paper or electronic: http://garnetrogers.com/site/?page_id=1013

I've been reading Garnet Rogers' memoir about his early years with Stan. Our dear Willie makes a number of appearances. Here's an excerpt, from Chapter 40: "The Winnipeg Folk Festival".

I think it was around 1975 when word went out around Toronto and area that Mitch Podolak, the director of the Winnipeg Folk Festival was arriving and would be holding auditions... The auditions were held in a large cavern of a room down by the waterfront in Toronto, in what was to become the Harbourfront complex... It seemed like every scruffy singer song writer with stars in their eyes had turned up at the audition. They each got to play a couple of songs, but I don't recall anyone from the event getting hired by Mitch with the possible exception of Willie P. Bennett.

Mostly what I remember from that night was Willie P. and Rick Taylor needing a quiet place to release their beer, and finding a massive white painted metal structure laying on it's side in the parking lot. Evidently vandals had been at work. It was covered in coloured graffiti, thousands of bright scribbles. They climbed up on top and had their whizz, and that would have been that, except that the metal structure, as we found out later, was the final piece of the radio antenna for the CN Tower which was to be raised and affixed to the top the next day. From all over Toronto school kids had come down and signed their names to it. The day after the auditions, just before it was lifted up and installed, a coat of clear polyurethane varnish was sprayed over it to seal and protect the kiddies' signatures. It sealed and protected the signatures, and it sealed and protected the urine as well. So in effect, what was for years the world's tallest free-standing structure, and the thing which still dominates the skyline of Toronto has had a faint pee stain at the top.

Having just quoted at length without asking, i feel moved to make a pitch on Garnet's behalf.
    Night Drive - Travels with My Brother
    A Memoir by Garnet Rogers
    available from his website, on paper or electronic:
    http://garnetrogers.com/site/?page_id=1013

• Rick Taylor

Rick Taylor London

This is pretty much an accurate story, from. Yes, WPB and I pissed on the pinnacle of the CN Tower. We new it was the CN Tower. And that is was to be helicoppered to the top. It's not accurate that WPB was the only one hired for Winnipeg Folk Festival. I was too And for many years later I played in Winnipeg. Yes, many buyers that day. And WP and I did piss on the CN Tower. It was not innocent. It was in a direct defiance of corporate power. That was our piss.

This is pretty much an accurate story, from. Yes, WPB and I pissed on the pinnacle of the CN Tower. We new it was the CN Tower. And that is was to be helicoppered to the top. It's not accurate that WPB was the only one hired for Winnipeg Folk Festival. I was too And for many years later I played in Winnipeg. Yes, many buyers that day. And WP and I did piss on the CN Tower. It was not innocent. It was in a direct defiance of corporate power. That was our piss.

• Rick Taylor

Rick Taylor London

There are so many stories. Some true, some vague, some so happy, some myth. Because mostly with WP it was a good and happy time. I miss my brother.

There are so many stories. Some true, some vague, some so happy, some myth. Because mostly with WP it was a good and happy time. I miss my brother.

Add your message - It will be added as the newest post